Friday, February 01, 2008

Date with Death


I have a date with Death, but the time is not confirmed. I think he will give me a surprise when the time comes. I know he is like that.

Though I have seen him many times in the hospital, he never once looked my way or greeted me. Maybe he was saving his thoughts for our date. Or perhaps he did not have the time, him being such a busy man.

He is an enigma. I could never tell when I would see him. Sometimes I could see him waiting at the corner for many days for the septic lady, or the man with terminal cancer. Sometimes he would come unannounced, kiss the lady in labour and leave as abruptly as he had arrived.

He seemed to like children as well. I had seen him cradle babies in his arms, and they stopped crying. He was the one who led May out of the hospital, holding her little hand in his own. That was the only time I saw May walk, but she was walking away from me.

When I was in Teluk Intan last week, he came for a young Hunter. I heard he was watching this boy for many years, staying in close proximity but never had direct contact, not until now.

I read in the papers that several days ago that he was on a bus which crashed on the highway. He was unharmed, and left the crash site with 3 youths. It was unexpected, even for these 3 young people. They were not prepared to leave. They had not left any goodbyes for their families, but his magnetism was too strong for them to resist.

I would be seeing him on a regular basis when I start working. There would come a time when I have to stand against him, telling him to leave. He must know that he is not welcomed all the time.

Still, I know he will not listen to what I say. He comes and goes as he wishes.

He might even steal a kiss from me before my time.

No comments: