Thursday, September 29, 2005

Fairy Tales are back in fashion!

I watched the Cinderella Man starring Russell Crowe and Renee Zelwegger yesterday. Over the past 4 months, I’ve watched a series of lousy movies from trashy War of The Worlds to The Island (what was it about again?) to stupid Ring 2 (absolute waste of $) and loads of others including The Myth. I was starting to lose faith in the blockbuster industry when I decided to give it another try with the Cinderella Man (choice was this or Flightplan). I have no regrets watching it. Would have watched it again. It is brilliant.
For some boxing idiot like myself, the movie featured enough in-the-ring scenes to keep the suspense going and play up the emotions with the slow-motioned punches, but it wasn’t like a documentary of butchering (blunt style). Braddock’s struggle to keep food on the table and his young family together seemed very real.
The movie captured the essence of a family, how love and sacrifice are always a package; it was heartbreaking to see the children go hungry and fall sick, heartwarming to see their joy and gratefulness in staying together as a family. James Braddock’s story is indeed very inspiring. His endurance in the boxing ring despite his injuries and then proceeding to win the matches only reinforces the fact that with perseverance, we can achieve what we strive for.
Of course, as a medical student when I saw him take those blows at his chest, flanks, head, I was thinking to myself ‘Wow, splenic rupture, liver trauma, rib fracture, haemothorax, kidney trauma, concussion, contusion, extradural haemorrhage, etc…yada-yada-yada.’ I’m sure he suffered a great deal of injuries, but still lived until his seventies. Amazing!
Anyway, this movie is a must-watch, I recommend it to everyone planning on a movie in the near future.

No comments: