Saturday, October 15, 2005

Unveiling

I stumbled upon the rack one morning in the library. I was supposed to be looking for books about the middle-aged man for my group work but there wasn't any (not many people write about this age group. Don't they realise that many suffer from mid-life crisis?)

I bought Princess way back in 1997. I've only read in once, then I lent it to someone I can't remember who, and the book's lost forever. It's really annoying, I can't remember how many books had been borrowed and never returned. And they are my favourite books! Among them was my Jeffrey Archer's The Fourth Estate which I bought in England. (Yeah, I'm sentimental)

Back to my library rack - Both Princess and Daughters of Arabia by Jean Sasson were there! Now that I have ample time and not much things to do during my minor, reading books seem like the best pasttime. I've always wanted to read Daughters of Arabia but felt it's too pricey to buy. Now that I found it in the library, I borrowed it. (Duh!)

This book, a continuation of Princess, detailed much of the lives of Princess Sultana's teenage children and her uphill task fighting for women's liberation in Saudi Arabia. I take my hat off for her, really. Her courageous move to reveal the details of her life behind the veil and palace walls could land her without a head, yet she is not deterred.

One can only be appalled by the monstrosities committed to women as described in the book. I am truly thankful to be borned in this part of the world in this era. Still, the fact remains that my liberty was won with the sufferings endured by women of the past.

No comments: